Friday, April 19, 2013

ECAN Hope For All Conference

          Today, we are finishing up pretty big conference. We were able to bring in around 300 orphans from all over west Kenya to gather for the past few days at our school in Eldoret, over the week long break. This was something that I've been planning on doing since I began planning my trip here, and when the children first arrived it was pretty much what I had expected. That was until, the power went out in normal Kenyan fashion. I found myself in the middle of a thunderstorm (being the rainy season), with all of these kids, who are being supported by people back home, singing Kiswhahilli songs in a pitch black room praising God. Talk about an amazing experience. These are the places that I have begun to feel our Lord's presence the most. Not in the middle of a sermon, or in hardcore devotional, but in these simple places. These easy to find places where I'm getting to see what He's doing for these children, and how these children can take anything that happens and find some kind of hope in it. "Oh the power went out, well I guess that just means that our eyes won't hurt as much when we finally open our eyes after worship." That's what these children see. Maybe I need to start striving to be like the children that I try to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment